One of the best ways to win at home is having a healthy marriage. A healthy marriage is good for each spouse, but more importantly, it is good for each child. Children are walking video recorders. More is caught than taught. I believe most of the issues young people have in life can be traced back to their parents' examples. I worked with young people for over thirty years, and I have seen this in many of my students. Parents do not realize the impact unhealthy relationships have on their children.
Three ways to have a healthy marriage.
1. WATCH YOUR MOUTH
- You never get a good result from bad words.
- Your marriage will never rise above your mouth.
- Good relationships have good communication.
- There is no such thing as inconsequential speech.
- Words do not evaporate. They accumulate.
- Good words have power. Bad words have power.
- Our tongue has a disproportionate influence over our whole life.
2. BE ANGRY, BUT BE NICE
- Do not deny your anger
- Do not justify mean actions with anger
- Do not go to bed angry
- Depression is anger turned inward
- Confront in love
- Complain and do not criticize
- Listen to your spouse and believe them
- Forgive and let it go
- The first three minutes of a conversation are most important
3. SERVER ONE ANOTHER
- Men want respect
- Women want security
- Do not keep score
- Touch each other often in a nonsexual way
- Talk. Listen.
Three ways to win at home:
1. Serve your spouse.
2. Use uplifting language when talking to your spouse.
3. Work on your marriage