By Faye Gaston
Faye Gaston gave the historical preservation report at the City Council meeting on January 4, 2022.
This history is from January 16, 1878, Union Springs Herald. It reads as follows:
"Union Springs, from its incorporation in 1844 to 1878, continued to grow and thrive. In an article in the Union Springs Herald of January 16, 1878, the writer described Union Springs as having 2,000 inhabitants; seven churches (four white, three colored); one steam gin and flour mill; one cotton factory; two hotels; four millinery (ladies hats) establishments; two dealers of tin and stoves; two gunsmith shops (makes or repairs guns); three confectioneries (sweet foods); three drug stores; 21 dry goods and grocery stores (dry goods are cloth items and ready-to-wear clothes); one furniture and shoe store; two restaurants; three saloons; three meat markets; one jewelry store; two fire proof cotton warehouses; one telegraph office; two wagon and repair shops; three blacksmith shops; three boot and shoe making shops; one tannery (where skins of animals are changed into leather); one sawmill (saws logs); one cotton gin factory (separates seeds from cotton); one barbershop; one livery-stable (keeping horses for temporary use for pay); two fire companies (fire departments); three schools (two for white, one for colored); one courthouse; one jail; ten lawyers; five physicians; one dentist; one saddle and harness establishment; 20 widows; eight widowers (lost their wives by death); 26 marriageable ladies and 23 marriageable gentlemen".
The italics are used to explain words from the language of 143 years ago in 1878.