By Faye Gaston
A brief history of the Almeria School Building was distributed in the quarterly newsletter mailed to the Bullock County Historical Society members and distributed at its quarterly meeting on July 11, 2021, at the Union Springs Presbyterian Church.
The newsletter quoted the Union Springs Herald newspaper dated July 6, 1910, as follows: "Citizens around Almeria expect to erect a new building for the school there. They have raised $300.00. They intend to raise $100.00 more and to get $200.00 from the state.
"Trustees for the Almeria School were: T.M. Hough, W.S. Deason, and W.L. Roughton. Building committee members were: J.A. Caylor, W.L. Roughton, P.F. Roughton W.A.C. May, and J.O. Roughton. In the Union Springs Herald newspaper of May 7, 1913, it reported the Almeria Community has plans to enlarge, paint and seat the school building there.
"In 1925, teachers in the Almeria School were Miss Myra Cade, Miss Tommie Cade, and Miss Lora Mae Cade.
"In March 1931, the percentage of attendance for the schools by the Bullock County School Board reported: Almeria School 84.5%. The percentage of attendance for those riding the bus was also reported for the Almeria School: Holmes 83% and Sellars 90%. When the Almeria School closed, the students were transported by bus to the Inverness Consolidated School in Inverness, Alabama.
"When the Almeria School, closed the State of Alabama deeded the land (2 acres) and building to the officials of the community club (1955). Sixty years later (2021), the old Almeria School building is still being utilized for family and community functions and activities."
The newsletter also contained information about fox hunters in Bullock County history as follows: "The Bullock County Fox Hunters Association was one of those organizations that utilized the old Almeria School building as a meeting place for many years.
The Union Springs Herald of October 29, 1959, in a reprint of an article of 25 years earlier (1934): "The Southeast Fox Hunters Association held its annual four-day hunt on October 12-14.
"The site again this year for the annual affair was the Almeria Community in Bullock County. Seventy-eight hounds were entered by seventeen owners."
The Union Springs Herald, October 9, 1937, reported on an annual fox hunters field trials meeting in that October near Opelika.
It then listed names among the Bullock County Fox Hunters attending: Ed Farrior, Jake Bishop, Claude Griswold, John Carroll, Andrew Pickett, Bernard Tompkins, Eldridge Wright, G.P. Thompson, Jesse Hatfield, and G.M. Edwards.